Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
If you like to wallow in a spot of nostalgia around new year, an English Premier League match between Liverpool and Newcastle is just the tonic.
The pair played out several rambunctious top flight fixtures in the 1990s that still get the hearts racing of any fans of a certain vintage.
Little did Liverpool’s ‘Spice Boys’ know they would have to wait until 2020 to lift the EPL trophy, let alone guess at the bizarre, Covid-19 circumstances of their celebrations.
They’re having another bash at it this season too, sitting top of the table above rivals Everton whatever happens this week, barring a huge shift in goal difference.
Jurgen Klopp’s side did suffer a tinge of festive disappointment, though, when old scrooge himself Sam Allardyce steered his lowly West Brom to a credible point at Anfield.
Joel Matip is injured again, causing Klopp a defensive headache with the likes of Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez also sidelined.
Thiago could return at least, with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain also easing himself back from his long-term absence.
Newcastle are a shadow of the Kevin Keegan-led entertainers that were pushing for Premier League titles themselves a quarter of a century ago.
A Boxing Day defeat at Manchester City made it three without a win for Steve Bruce’s side, who once again seem content to avoid a relegation scrap and little else besides.
The Covid-struck Magpies will likely be without several key figures, with Martin Dubravka, Jamal Lascelles and Paul Dummett all laid low.
Newcastle United vs Liverpool: English Premier League Predictions by the numbers
- Coming into this game, Newcastle United has picked up 7 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.4 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Newcastle United has scored 7 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Newcastle United has enjoyed playing at home recently, with the side currently unbeaten in 2 games.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 14 games for Newcastle United ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- In the last 5 matches for Newcastle United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 8 matches (57% of all matches) involving Newcastle United has seen BTTS landing.
- Coming into this game, Liverpool has picked up 11 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2.2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Liverpool has scored 15 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Liverpool away from home, where they are currently unbeaten in 5 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Scoring is not an issue for Liverpool when they play away from home. They have scored in the last 7 games they have played on the road. Can Newcastle United stop this run?
- Momentum is really building for Liverpool as they have now gone 11 games without losing. They have won 3 of the last 5 games they have played.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 15 games for Liverpool ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- Liverpool is unbeaten in the last 5 games coming into this fixture against Newcastle United, having won 3 and drawn 2. They have scored 15 goals in those 5 games.
- In the last 5 matches for Liverpool, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 11 matches (73% of all matches) involving Liverpool has seen BTTS landing.
- It’s likely that Liverpool will score today, as they have netted in the last 15 games coming into this one and have scored 15 goals in the last five games.
Stats source: footystats.org
Newcastle vs Liverpool: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Newcastle vs Liverpool: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Newcastle Starting XI: Karl Darlow, Javier Manquillo, Federico Fernandez, Fabian Schar, Ciaran Clark, Jamal Lewis, Matt Ritchie, Sean Longstaff, Isaac Hayden, Joelinton, Callum Wilson.
Probable Liverpool Starting XI: Alisson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Rhys Williams, Fabinho, Andy Robertson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Jordan Henderson, Georginio Wijnaldum, Mohamed Salah, Takumi Minamino, Sadio Mane.