Latest EPL standings as well as fixtures and results are found below the predictions.
Manchester United head to rejuvenated Chelsea on Sunday for the English Premier League’s fixture of the weekend.
It’s a blockbuster clash between red and blue, with the visitors desperately clinging on to the tail of neighbours Manchester City at the top of the EPL table.
The home side, meanwhile, can bolster their Champions League qualification ambitions with victory, as well as closing the gap to United to just three points.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side have been muddling along a bit since their 9-0 Old Trafford rampage against sorry Southampton at the beginning of the month.
Draws away from home at Everton and, less understandably, West Brom followed, before a return to winning ways saw them outwit relegation candidates Newcastle last Sunday.
United start the weekend a daunting ten points back from their impeccable city rivals and also have an immediate battle on their hands for second place with Leicester, with whom they mirror a points tally of 49.
Anthony Martial could find himself spearheading the attack if Edinson Cavani isn’t fit to start, with younster Daniel James also a doubt thanks to a muscle strain.
Paul Pogba faces a further few weeks on the sidelines, with fellow midfielders Donny van de Beek and Scott McTominay also not certain starters.
Thomas Tuchel has been the proverbial breath of fresh air since taking the coaching reigns from club legend Frank Lampard at Stamford Bridge.
The enigmatic German is unbeaten since jetting in from the continent, overseeing four straight Premier League wins bookended by draws with Wolves and, last weekend, against stubborn hosts Southampton.
Two points is the gap between the Blues and London rivals West Ham in fourth place, with Tuchel’s pressing game prompting a rise back up the EPL rankings as the business end of the campaign approaches.
Thiago Silva is the only major doubt for Tuchel, who may have held the veteran back in the Champions League in midweek with an eye on domestic matters.
Old schemer Olivier Giroud will also hope his eye-catching European winner is enough to keep his starting berth up front.
Chelsea vs Manchester United: By the numbers
- Coming into this game, Chelsea has picked up 13 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2.6 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in just 2 of those games. Chelsea has scored 8 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Chelsea has enjoyed playing at home recently, with the side currently unbeaten in 3 games.
- Momentum is really building for Chelsea as they have now gone 6 games without losing. They have won 4 of the last 5 games they have played.
- Chelsea has kept 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games, conceding 2 goals during this period. Overall this season, their defence has kept a clean sheet on 11 occasions.
- Chelsea is unbeaten in the last 5 games coming into this fixture against Manchester United, having won 4 and drawn 1. They have scored 8 goals in those 5 games.
- Just 2 of the last 5 games for Chelsea has ended with both teams scoring. They have won 4 of those 5 games. Overall, BTTS has landed in 11/25 games for Chelsea this season.
- It’s likely that Chelsea will score today, as they have netted in the last 5 games coming into this one and have scored 8 goals in the last five games.
- Coming into this game, Manchester United has picked up 9 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.8 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 3 of those games. Manchester United has scored 16 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Manchester United away from home, where they are currently unbeaten in 12 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Momentum is really building for Manchester United as they have now gone 5 games without losing. They have won 2 of the last 5 games they have played.
- It’s possible we will see a couple of goals here, with the last 4 games for Manchester United ending with 2 goals or more being scored.
- Manchester United is unbeaten in the last 5 games coming into this fixture against Chelsea, having won 2 and drawn 3. They have scored 16 goals in those 5 games.
- In the last 5 matches for Manchester United, 3 of those games has ended with both teams scoring. This season 16 matches (64% of all matches) involving Manchester United has seen BTTS landing.
- It’s likely that Manchester United will score today, as they have netted in the last 4 games coming into this one and have scored 16 goals in the last five games.
Stats source: footystats.org
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Chelsea vs Manchester United: EPL starting XI prediction
Probable Chelsea Starting XI: Edouard Mendy, Cesar Azpilicueta, Andreas Christensen, Antonio Rudiger, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Jorginho, Mateo Kovacic, Marcos Alonso, Mason Mount, Timo Werner, Olivier Giroud.
Probable Manchester United Starting XI: David de Gea, Eric Bailly, Victor Lindelof, Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Nemanja Matic, Fred, Luke Shaw, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial.