The Uefa Champions League first knockout round pits Borussia Monchengladbach against red hot Manchester City on Wednesday.
Pep Guardiola’s English Premier League leaders are in invincible form and face a German side stripped of home advantage, with the first leg being played at the Puskas Arena in Hungary due to government Covid-19 restrictions.
City have long-since forgotten what a defeat looks like in both domestic and European football, having blazed a trail through Group B before the turn of the year.
They won five of their six pool fixtures and conceded just one goal as FC Porto, Olympiakos and Marseille were all left trailing
Wunderkind Phil Foden and Rodri were rested for domestic action at the weekend, leaving them fit and firing for the continental showdown.
Nathan Ake is the only confirmed absentee, which could leave the likes of Bernardo Silva and Riyad Mahrez sweating on Guardiola’s selection.
Borussia Monchengladbach just did enough to make their way through a tricky Group B also containing serial champions Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk and Inter Milan.
The odds were against the Bundesliga side progressing from the pool stage but Marco Rose’s men squeezed out Shakhtar and Inter, despite losing their last two matches to finish level on eight points with the unlucky Ukrainians.
Gladbach are blessed to have almost no injury concerns at all, although Denis Zakaria may only make it as far as the bench for the first leg.
Lars Stinder and Stefan Lainer are one booking away from a Champions League ban.
Borussia Monchengladbach vs Manchester City: By the numbers
- Previous result: Borussia M’gladbach 1 – 1 Manchester City.
- These 2 teams have met 4 times in the last several seasons based on the data that we have of them.
- Out of 4 previous meetings, Borussia M’gladbach have won 0 matches while Manchester City won 3. 1 matches between them have ended in a draw.
- Borussia M’gladbach is in good home form while Manchester City are performing excellent at away.
- Previous matches between Borussia M’gladbach and Manchester City have averaged 3.75 goals while BTTS has happened 75% of the time.
- So far this season in the UEFA Champions League, Borussia M’gladbach have averaged 1.8 Points Per Game at home matches and Manchester City 3 Points Per Game at away matches.
Stats source: footystats.org
Borussia Monchengladbach vs Manchester City: Prediction
Prediction methodology explained: The expected win percentage is based off publicly available odds. For example, if a team’s odds are 2.30, the expected chance of winning is 43%. If the odds are 1.62 the expected chance of winning is 62% and so on. These are accurate at the time of writing but are subject to change. Where there is no value listed, the odds were not available at the time of writing.
Borussia Monchengladbach vs Manchester City: UCL starting XI prediction
Probable Borussia Monchengladbach Starting XI: Yann Sommer, Stefan Lainer, Matthias Ginter, Nico Elvedi, Ramy Bensebaini, Christoph Kramer, Florian Neuhaus, Jonas Hofmann, Lars Stindl, Marcus Thuram, Alassane Plea,
Probable Manchester City Starting XI: Ederson, Joao Cancelo, John Stones, Ruben Dias, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Kevin de Bruyne, Rodrigo, Ilkay Gundogan, Raheem Sterling, Gabriel Jesus, Phil Foden.